Fine-tuning smart watering for rotors

Ken Laberteaux
Updated at 2021-06-22 04:16:23 UTC
Topic: Smart Watering

I have a smart zone comprising rotor heads.  As I understand, rotor heads need to be run for longer times than other types of heads because they are only delivering water to one direction at a time (the current direction of the stream of water from the rotor).  Further, the amount of water delivered in a given time depends on how large of an arc the rotor passes through.  For example, if the rotor sweeps through only 180 degrees for 10 minutes, that ground gets 2x the water per unit area than if it runs through 360 degrees for the same 10 min.

So, it seems that, since the choice of rotor head does not include information about the arc it will travel through, there is no way for the smart watering algorithm to know how much water is being delivered per unit area, i.e. a zone with rotors going all 360 degrees is likely under-watering.

I believe this is happening on my lawn, and i would like to make a change in order to increase the time of watering for this zone.

What dials do I have at my disposal to make the smart watering algorithm water this zone for a longer period of time?

View: 1039    Follow: 0   

2 Answers    Click the answer to view the full answer and comments